Sunday 15 December 2013

Honey Crisp Mittens

I was lucky enough to be asked to test the honey crisp mittens from disparate disciplines :-)

Here is the guest post I did for Mari:

Hi I’m Liz and I made me some honey-crisp mittens!


 When Mari contacted me and asked whether I wanted to test a new pattern for her I was intrigued- as down here in Australia we don’t really need mittens, well not here in Adelaide, Tasmania probably does.  But I personally do get pretty cold and when I mentioned to my boyfriend, James, the idea of conductive mittens, we were sold!

I quickly went to my local Spotlight and tried to find the warmest, softest, cheapest knit fabric they had in their summer sale! Yeah, it’s summer here.
I found the minky fleece and decided on bringing home the geometric navy blue, though thinking back I should have gotten the red to support our local soccer team, Adelaide United.

The fabric I used was a very soft minky fleece with ~50% stretch. One of the things I hadn’t contemplated was the fact that I’m not too good with knit fabrics, but I was going to try my hardest and I’m pretty happy with how they turned out :-)
I printed the pattern out on A4 paper, which fit much better with the new layout. I decided to do the forearm length mittens as I really liked the V section of the cuff on the palm side, and I didn’t think the longest length would be very practical for me.

It’s hard to see the V because of the pattern of the fabric, but I know it’s there.

The construction went really well for me, even with the knit fabric, and Mari’s instructions were perfect. I didn’t use the elastic to hold the mittens up as mine seemed fine with the stretch they already had, but they might become droopy as time goes by and if so, I can just quickly whip up a new pair :-)
I think Mari should be super proud of how this pattern came out and everyone, especially people in colder climates, should make themselves a pair – if I did come from somewhere cold I’d totally make these as presents.



Thank you Mari for giving me this opportunity :-)


No comments:

Post a Comment